On Monday, Dr Henry G. Mwebesa, Director General Health Services in his press statement titled “Update On The COVID-19 Outbreak In Uganda” was informing the country on the undertakings done so far.
In his press statement dated 6 April, 2020 he said a total of 231 samples tested negative for COVID-19 at Uganda Virus Research Institute (UVRI). “The total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases still stands at 52 in the country,” he said in his press statement.
“To date, the cumulative samples tested at UVRI stands at 3,160. Meanwhile, a total of 657 individuals are under institutional quarantine while 855 contacts to the confirmed cases are under follow up,” the statement further reads.
The Ministry of Health are currently undertaking intensified activities that are aimed at tracing and testing individuals who returned from abroad between 7th and 22nd March 2020. The Ministry appeals to those who will be contacted by the filed teams to comply and avail themselves for testing.
“All the 52 confirmed COVID-19 cases are in stable condition at Mulago National Specialized Hospital, Entebbe Grade B Hospital, Adjumani and Hoima hospitals. Uganda has not registered any COVID-19 related death,” Dr Mwebesa added.
He added: “The Ministry of Health continues to appeal to the population to remain calm but vigilant, practice the preventive measures and stay at home.”
The total number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Africa rose to 10,117 on Tuesday from 9,457 on Monday. The total stood at 8,736 on Sunday.
Africa Centers for Disease Prevention and Control [ACDPC] issued this new data on Monday.
COVID-19 has spread to 51 of the 54 countries in Africa, the latest being South Sudan that confirmed its first case on Sunday.
The number of deaths has also gone up to 487 on Tuesday, up from 442 the previous day – Monday, says ACDPC. A total of 993 coronavirus patients have been recovered so far.
The African Union Bureau of Heads of State and Government on COVID-19 prevention and resource, led by South African President, H.E. Cyril Ramaphosa last Friday reiterated the need for “rapid and concrete support” as promised by the G20 and other international partners. The similar promise was also made by the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund.
“It is critical that these institutions review their current disbursement policies to display flexibility and speed, including raising the availability of IMF Special Drawing Rights (SDRs),” a communique issued by the Bureau after a teleconference on the issue, reads.
The Bureau also echoed the call for a comprehensive stimulus package for Africa, including; deferred payments, the immediate suspension of interest payments on Africa’s external public and private debt in order to create fiscal space for COVID-19 response measures.
During the teleconference, WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom told the African leaders that “Africa must act now.”
The African Union COVID-19 Response Fund was established on March 26 to which members pledged the sum of $12.5 million and an additional $4.5million to the Africa Centers for Disease Prevention and Control.