The Alebtong Resident District Commissioner Josephine Omara Olili has called for calm from the community following Wednesday evening’s shooting which brutally ended the lives of three members of the same family.
She says security agencies in the district led by the police is putting up every bit of effort to ensure that the perpetrator behind the gruesome murder that has left the entire villagers of Okut, Iyama parish in Aloi sub-county in complete shock.
The gunman reportedly stormed the home of Emmy Okello between 7-8 pm local time, entered the family house and opened fire. The bullet was aimed first at Okello, 40, and the gunman later proceeded to shoot Okello’s wife – Betty Arao, 34.
A bullet also reportedly hit their three year old child, Elvis Okullo killing him instantly.
Only one child in the family survived and in his narrative to people who turned up at the scene of crime is that the suspected murderer was clad on a military uniform.
“He entered the house; he was putting on a military uniform. I heard him had a brief exchange with my father and mother, he later fired at them and fled,” the frightened child narrates.
RDC Josephine Omara Olili says security is already combing the ground and following leads that could lead to the arrest of the suspect behind the murder.
The Moroto County MP, Samuel Okwir Odwe has not only expressed shock but condemned the shooting, and called it “one of the worst” tragedies in his constituency ever since guns went silent after the LRA insurgencies ended.
Okwir said immediately after the unfortunate shooting, concerned residents phoned him and he then reached the crime scene. He also took with him the only child who survived the shooting since his life seemed to be in danger.
Talks doing the round are that the suspect behind the shooting could be a UPDF soldier who recently returned from a foreign mission in Somalia and that the reason for the shooting is land related, although we could not independently verify this information.
Although gun related deaths have been common in Lango, this is the first time that three members from the same family have died in such a gruesome manner in Alebtong district.
On Friday morning – North Kyoga regional police issued a statement on the latest murder.
“As police, we condemn the cowardly killings of innocent civilians but we encourage the general public to remain calm as we pursue the culprits. We also call upon any person with relevant information to confidently report it to the police to ensure that the culprits are identified, apprehended and brought to book. No arrest has yet been made but a case of murder has to this effect been registered vide CRB 397/2018 of Alebtong central police station,” part of the statement issued by North Kyoga region police’s spokesperson David Ongom Mudong reads.
The Alebtong murder come barley three days after business woman was gunned down by unknown assailants in Dokolo town and no arrest has been made so far.