Five years later, ADB’s shs4.1bn projects in Dokolo Technical half-finished


Dokolo RDC Mr Lawrence Egole [middle in blue court] and other stakeholders after the meeting on Tuesday. Photo by Jaspher Padi Ouni
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

DokoloIn 2017, two years after the project had started, Minister for Presidency, Esther Mbayo visited the Africa Development Bank [ADB] multi-billion projects worth shillings 4.1 billion at Dokolo Technical Institute and refused to commission it.

Why? It was substandard, done without plan and in summary, it was unacceptable. She soon ordered for a fresh re-construction as per the approved design, among other directives.

However, the Minister’s directive fell on the deaf ears of the contractor; Kol Services limited who was awarded part the multi-billion project.

Peter Othieno, the company director’s report indicates that ever since he abandoned the site in 2015, neither did he receive any calls from Dokolo district local government nor from the Ministry of Education and Sports who gave him the contract.

Last week [month] Tuesday, it was melodramatic when the long awaited contractor re-appeared at Dokolo Technical Institute for a special meeting that was organized by the office of the permanent secretary ministry of Education and sports to handle the matter.

The important meeting was attended by Dokolo district leaders, among them the district chairperson, Fredrick Dickens Odongo, RDC Lawrence Egole, DPC, among others.

In attendance were also members of the board. They recommended for arrest and detention of another constructor and supplier [officials] from BOSS PRO TEC Company not until they pleaded guilty.

Boss Pro-Tec Company led by Richard Kanyike was contracted to supply the following machines like; power saw, lesser machines, welding machines, circular saw, pliers, among others for technical studies. Reports indicate that upon supply of less equipment, they dumped it without testing.

Stakeholders inside one of the rooms of the incomplete block. Photo by Jaspher Padi Ouni.

In that special meeting leaders of Dokolo district gave an ultimatum of two weeks to both Kol Services Ltd and Boss Pro-Tec to resume works.

Moses Ogwal, the principal of Dokolo Technical Institute noted that boy’s dormitory, parking yard, walk ways, labeling of the compound were not done. He cited substandard works by accused engineers [companies].

Mr Ogwal said other equipment were also bought, brought and dumped without testing for use alongside contractors disappearing “without handing over the site to the authorities”.

Editor’s Pick: Dokolo CAO says district lacks substantive engineer

After the aching statement by the principal, Mr Fredrick Dickens Odongo aka Kungfu Master, the Dokolo district LC5 chairperson wanted the duo to record statements with police.

Mr Odongo appealed to various ministries especially, Ministry of Health never, at any one time to give contracts of upgrading health units in Dokolo to such contractors.

Also, Mr Lawrence Egole, the Resident District Commissioner, Dokolo warned companies against misusing public funds and loans which can open way for opposition party members to despise the government.

Peter Othieno, the director Kol Services Limited told the meeting that there was a budget cut, and we quotes him: “And that is why some work was incomplete.”

Similarly, Richard Kanyike of Boss Pro- Tec claims that other equipment were not tested due to unstable power supply at Dokolo Technical Institute.

Resolutions.

The meeting then resolved that the two companies resume works not later than 15, Nov, 2019 to correct the substandard works. It was also resolved that the boys’ dormitory be constructed as it was in the plan, ground labeling, and construction of different connecting roads within the institute, among others.

147

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Previous Gen. Elly Tumwine be humble, you're a good man!
Next Pader: Lightening kills 6, 12 in grave conditions